The Bristol Cable – Early Career Journalism Placement
Work with this local paper for five months, making content about the issues important to you.
The Bristol Cable are after somebody to join our early career journalism placement and work with us for five months in a paid role where you will make original journalism for the Bristol Cable – it could be articles, videos or podcasts, depending on your interests and experience. You will work alongside our small team of journalists to develop your skills, portfolio and networks as part of the Cable – a globally recognised pioneer in local journalism.
This is a fantastic opportunity to get stuck into producing journalism in the public interest. You won’t be expected to produce investigations, but will work towards creating media that is in-depth, challenging and highlights what’s really going on in Bristol.
No qualifications necessary just good ideas, a track record of journalism (be it on a blog/vlog, student newspaper, radio, journal, trade magazine, newspaper or other), and a strong desire to work in journalism.
If this sounds like you, then apply for our Early Career Journalism Placement:
- You are a creative storyteller who is curious about the world around you.
- You are fascinated by news, current affairs and/or the state of the world.
- You love meeting people and sharing people’s stories.
- You are committed to local journalism that holds the powerful to account
- You want to tell original stories about Bristol and its communities
During this five month scheme, you will work alongside our dedicated and supportive media team. This placement will offer you hands-on experience in research, writing and / or publishing multimedia content.
You will also receive some training with the Centre for Investigative Journalism.
- Pitch and produce original stories for the Bristol Cable (in article, podcast or video format)
- Assist with journalism research (e.g.interviewing, attending public meetings, social media and data analysis)
- Participate in editorial meetings
- Meet publishing deadlines
Read more about this opportunity here
Support more young people to have their voices heard
Rife is Watershed‘s online magazine created for young people, by young people.
We offer paid internships and publish work by young writers, photographers, illustrators, and filmmakers from all sorts of backgrounds, helping them get into creative careers. Rife has reached over 8,000 young people through our workshops, over 220 young people have made stuff for Rife on topics ranging from mental health to identity to baked beans, and last year, over 200,000 people visited our website.
In these complex and uncertain times hearing from and supporting young people who are advocating for social change and contributing fresh perspectives has never been so important.
Through supporting Rife you can ensure that this important work continues and that more young people have their voices heard.
Post an opportunity
Are you an employer or organisation with a job or opportunity for young people?