13 Times Obama Showed Us Politicians Can Be Human Too
Ahead of the Mayoral Election, Grace considers moments Barack Obama showed his human side – an example she thinks should be followed by other politicians.
Politicians are supposed to be our representatives, but recent events have hammered home their ability to make life-changing decisions without any empathy for the people affected. As mayoral elections approach, it’s time to think about what kind of person we want to represent us. Are they compassionate and intelligent? Do they have a sense of humour? Are they fighting for minorities? Politicians aren’t elected to be liked, but knowing that there is an element of humanity to a power figure leaves us feeling much more comfortable about the decisions they make on our behalf.
Not all of his decisions have been empathetic, but in terms of relating to people, Obama has mostly shown that he’s more than just a man who runs a country. He sees the people beyond the policies and he know how to have a good time too. Here are all the times he showed us that politicians are human too…
- 1) The time he told Muslims they are welcome members of society – a message not just for Americans, but for all nations.
2) The time when he broke down over the 100,000 American deaths we’ve witnessed as a result of guns.
3) The time he met Ahmed Mohammed after the teenager was arrested for bring his homemade clock into school.
4) The time he featured on the cover of OUT magazine in support of the LGBTQIA community.
5) The time he acknowledged and supported the #BlackLivesMatter movement.
6) The time he greeted a Syrian refugee who had lost everything.
7) But also that time he killed a fly with his bare hands.
8) Whenever he and Michelle dance.
9) Every time he sings.
10) Whenever he tells bad jokes.
11) When he’s caught off duty eating unhealthy snacks.
12) The time he took a selfie.
13) The time he entered into the great rap debate: Kendrick vs Drake.
How essential is a politicians ability to be relatable and show humanity important to you? Would it affect how you would vote? Tell us – @rifemag